10 Reasons to Get Involved
1. Volunteering makes a big difference. Research consistently shows that kids whose parents are involved in their schools do better.
2. Volunteering offers tangible ways to be part of things. Sometimes we might mean well, but our busy lives get in the way of committing. Joining a parent group will provide concrete ways to get involved, whether at events, in the classroom, or on a committee.
3. It feels great to participate! Your child spends a lot of time at school, and it’s great to share some of her school-related experiences with her.
4. You’ll get to know other parents. It’s powerful to create a circle of adult friends around a school, and having a shared interest is a good place to start. What’s more, it can help foster connections between families in your community.
5. Your help is always needed. Whether it’s helping run the next big event or providing support in the classroom, there are always ways to pitch in.
6. It’s a manageable commitment. Volunteering can seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. Spend an hour at Dover Days or Books from the Heart, and your efforts will be appreciated. And remember, it’s always OK to say no when you’re busy.
7. It’s fun! Even simple events like Family Movie night and Fit and Lit can spice up your week.
8. You can tailor volunteering to play to your strengths. Within a parent group or school community there are many ways to contribute, some of which are sure to complement your strengths, interests, or professional skills.
9. Have a great idea? Volunteering gives you opportunities to get your ideas out there.
10. Volunteering provides another way to get to know school and support staff to better understand their needs and ideas.
Want to be ‘in the know’? The PTO is looking for two people to coordinate the newsletter and email information to the membership. We would love to hear from you if you are even a little bit interested! It is a role that you can do from home in your own time.
We are also looking for:
- A volunteer to work with the MetCo Director in coordinating host families and events for the MetCo students.
- A couple of volunteers to join the Directory Team and ‘apprentice’ to the current team with a view to taking on their roles the following year. This is a well-oiled machine but our current volunteers are all approaching ‘graduation’
Please email email@example.com to find out more
A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has already signed up to help out in 2015-16. More volunteer opportunities will be posted in the Fall.
Check Writing Campaign 2015
It's not too late, you can still donate. Our goal is not only to raise money for PTO-sponsored initiatives, but to also promote parental involvement in our children's education and community. We hope to see 100% of Chickering families contributing to this campaign.
Remember, your funds make student enrichments possible!
To Donate online go to Fundraising on our site!
Thank you for your support!